Friday, April 16, 2004

Reflections and Projections

A couple quick things. I'm not one to make predictions and leave them hidden from the public to always seem right. I'm ready to take my lashings after making these predictions over the summer (part one, two, three):

Projected Finish Actual Finish (by record, not seed)
  1. Pistons
  2. Nets
  3. Pacers
  4. Hornets
  5. Sixers
  6. Bulls
  7. Magic
  8. Celtics
  9. Heat
  10. Raptors
  11. Wizards
  12. Knicks
  13. Hawks
  14. Cavs
  15. Bucks

 

  1. Pacers
  2. Pistons
  3. Nets
  4. Heat
  5. Hornets
  6. Bucks
  7. Knicks
  8. Celtics
  9. Cavs
  10. Raptors
  11. Sixers
  12. Hawks
  13. Wizards
  14. Bulls
  15. Magic

Not too good. I can now see the folly in overdosing on Bulls kool-aid.

And now for some playoff predictions. KnickerBlogger is doing a little pool among the basketball journalism elite. I told him I was actually Peter Vescey so he let me in too. So here are my picks:

EAST
First
Round:

                        Pacers over Celtics, Hornets over Heat, Pistons over Bucks, Nets over Knicks

                        Second Round:

                        Pacers over Hornets, Pistons over Nets

WEST:
First Round:

                        Wolves over Nuggets, Kings over Mavs, Spurs over Griz, Lakers over Rockets

Second Round:

                        Kings over Wolves, Spurs over Lakers

FINAL:

                        Spurs over Pistons

 

That should be the worst NBA finals of all time. David Stern will not be happy seeing every game be a race to 70. But in the NBA playoffs, the best team wins, and regardless of style I think the Spurs and Pistons are the best teams in their conferences. Hey, I did pick the Spurs to win last year as well, so hopefully this prediction turns out better than my preseason ones...or the NCAA tournament :)