Tuesday, October 05, 2004

Sights and sounds of Bulls' Media day:

All of this coverage lately that has resulted from the start of training camp has rebuilt my Bulls optimism. I'm not sure this is a good thing....

(quotes are from the local papers (links on the left), and Bulls.com)

The new slimmed down (and braid-less) Eddy Curry: "I think I'm coming into training camp not looking to lose weight or get in shape. I can come in and actually learn what I need to do and learn what I've been lacking these last three years. I wish I had done this years earlier. But better late than never."

Coach Scott Skiles on Curry: "Eddy looks great physically. We just haven't seen much of him. From a skill standpoint, we don't know yet where he is. But in his playing [at Berto], when he's been here to play, there's no question that he's starting this year way ahead of any other year. We have to take that for what it is."
 

The luxury of low expectations for Eddy this summer. I'll give him credit for doing what he set out to do, but getting in shape should be kind of a given, don't you think?

New Bull (and Olympic Gold Medalist) Andres Nocioni: ""I'm a real strong defensive player and have to be tough on that end," Nocioni said. "I'm a rebounder and will work my butt off. The offensive side will take care of itself eventually."

Here's Nocioni showing off the hardware:

And here I thought Jalen Rose's jersey was going to get retired....

more quotes!

Coach Skiles: ''This has been one of the best summers of any team that I have ever been around as far as the level of commitment of the guys,'' coach Scott Skiles said. ''I feel like we're going to take this commitment into the camp and have a very good season."

Ben Gordon: "when Michael [Jordan] and I met and started talking it was like we have known each other for a long time. He kind of took me under his wings, played with me, talked with me and showed me a lot of the little things on the court to make me better. It's a real good experience any time you play with the best player to ever play the game.''

Tyson Chandler: ""My first time out there [in full contact practice] was a couple of weeks ago, and I took my first hit. I jumped up, got hit real hard and got bent back. I was expecting pain and paused for a second. There was no pain. So I feel great."

Frank Williams(my guy): ""I've always wanted to play for the Bulls since I was little and watching Michael (Jordan) and Scottie (Pippen)," said the former Illinois guard. "Just putting on the jersey is a great feeling."

Eddie Robinson: ""I'm not sitting on that bench again," he said. "If I've got to come early and do all that, then so be it. I have to. I am not sitting down again. I'm supposed to be playing, helping this team win."
(emphasis added - this is a complete change from his attitude last year, when he refused to give up such superstitions as not shooting before games)

And in this picture, Tyson teaches Eddy (unsuccessfully) about posture, while Kirk Hinrich levitates a ball with his mind.

Hmm...we'll see if my general sarcasm and cynicism can outweigh Bulls optimism. Bulls optimism is a powerful force though, maybe I'm just doomed to be suckered in yet again :-)